XP x64 edition

Anything not gaming related goes here. Not sure where something should be posted? Post it in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

XP x64 edition

Post by Slink »

Hey all. I was checking out some articles on Windows XP Pro x64 edition, but it seems difficult to really discern some stuff. Why would someone want this version of XP rather than 32-bit version? Is the main advantage of a "64-bit OS" (over a 32-bit one) that you can utilize all lanes of my AM2 64-bit cpu simultaneously?

I can think that Microsoft Windows Server would be better suited for running a server, but maybe x64 is cheaper.

x64 allows more ram than XP's <4GB. EDIT: "Windows XP Professional x64 Edition supports up to 128 gigabytes (GB) of RAM and 16 terabytes of virtual memory" ( http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bi ... top10.mspx )

I see where the CPU and RAM benefits come in, but does anyone know if x64 would yield any significant improvements in GAMING over the typical 32-bit XP (other than for 64-bit-coded games)?

Would I be better off (for gaming's sake) to get--ugh--Vista? :-/ DX10 is a supposed plus.

Thanks,

-Slink
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

Highly complex tasks such as 3d sculpting benefit from 64-bit CPU
If the game is compiled for 64-bit CPUS and isn't a 32-bit binary there is indeed a speed boost. Otherwise for 32-bit stuff the speed increase is nearly unnoticable

you'll lose ntvdm, but that's a piece of crap anyway
you'll also not be able to use 32-bit drivers (such as for legacy video/sound cards) and many popular 'easy' software firewalls
also no Gametap or Starforce games
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

thx again

I just installed a 64-bit Linux OS. Not a s#!tload I can do with it, tho. I suppose the nVidia drivers should work fine with openSUSE Linux, provided I can dl the kernel update... aye, thar be the catch:

Can't find drivers for my wifi, but it's crap anyway. I have to run some cable and get this mo'f***a wired. Been a long time comin.

So back to the x64 thing, if I were going to go 64-bit merely for games, I'd just as well install Vista for dx10 (or jump off a bridge).