Distributing internet speed priorities across LAN

Anything not gaming related goes here. Not sure where something should be posted? Post it in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Distributing internet speed priorities across LAN

Post by Vuzeth »

I've recently arranged a broadband internet access (xDSL based) at the slowest speed of 128 kilobytes/sec. I have 2 PCs, D-Link DSL-2300U (modem) and D-Link Dl-604 (router). I have to limit the allowed speed, so that none of the computers could drain all causing slowdowns at the other pc. 64k/64k.
How can I do that on a Windows XP platform?

DustyStyx
2D Artist

Post by DustyStyx »

Hunting around, it looks like you can tweek your bandwidth using QoS settings in WinXP Pro.

The second half of this article seems to be the area you want to play with: http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=158

Unfortunately I would think it would limit ALL bandwidth to your machines so it'd be verry slow if you are trying to move files between computers on your own LAN.
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

DustyStyx wrote:Hunting around, it looks like you can tweek your bandwidth using QoS settings in WinXP Pro.

The second half of this article seems to be the area you want to play with: http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=158

Unfortunately I would think it would limit ALL bandwidth to your machines so it'd be verry slow if you are trying to move files between computers on your own LAN.
I've checked this out. It seems I can only tweak bandwidth in percents reserving more bandwidth for system needs. Its impossible to set bandwidth to 64k even if I reserve 99% for QoS on 100 mbit/s LAN. Im not even sure if it will affect internet bandwidth. :(

Perhaps, there's another way.
Does anyone know a program which can make a computer to "think" that the internet speed is slower than it actually is. Theres some download managers (like MP Download Express) which allow to restrict bandwidth to fixed values. Example: maximum download speed is ~32kilobytes/sec (on 256k connection), but you can set it to 10kilobytes/sec, leaving the remaining bandwidth for other needs. Is there a program to affect the whole system leaving the rest of bandwidth unassigned (on router)? Preferably under password and/or invisible in GUI. Both computers have the same external ip.

Any help will be really appreciated. :)