The new computer I'm getting

Anything not gaming related goes here. Not sure where something should be posted? Post it in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Ransu
Cheetah

The new computer I'm getting

Post by Ransu »

My hard drive is so screwed up that it deletes everything on it everytime the computer crashes. I figured "Hey! Why not ask my computer friend to help me get a new computer?". So, I asked him for a gaming computer and this is the list he came up with:
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wi ... ing+System

I think it's going to be a nice computer. :)
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

The case only seems nice for the Antec PSU and the washable dust filters. Otherwise, I hate it.

You're gonna be pretty happy with that graphics card. It is pretty much the best bang for the buck. check this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150229

That processor is too slow. You should stick around 2.4 GHz. Consider going with AMD, as they have some very affordable dual core options. You would need an AMD-socketed mobo, of course. AMD supposedly handles multiple programs simultaneously, better than Intel does.

I don't like the lack of cooling on the mobo.

There is almost no point in getting a processor that slow that is dual core and thus uses DDR2. DDR2 is dual-channel (dual, dual-channel) ram for both cores. Anyway, I wouldn't want a Quad-core CPU if it were 700MHz.

Hard drive should be ok. Don't expect a marathon from it.

I think I own that DVD-RW drive. Seems good to me.

Why the bloody hell are you getting WinXP Media Center? Just go Pro, if you don't want the extra stuff. Media Center is okay for a MEDIA PC that you would put in your living room.

As for the RAM you are looking at, you can get very comparable quality for better price in the A-Data or Wintec AMPx. You should definitely get a 2GB kit.

Good luck.

-Slink
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

Yes graphic card is pretty nice I'd get one but I'm afraid in my country it'll go for $300+ instead of $150. :banghead:
I'd not order any XP if I really hadn't spare money. :)
Vuzeth
Deceptossum

Post by Vuzeth »

One more thing if you plan to play blood on that pc (even in dosbox) choose intel. build engine is developed for intel cpus only and was not tested on cpus of other manufacturers during general development. on amd it can cause more lock-ups or slowdowns doesn't matter what's the speed.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

That's not really true. I've played Blood on am486s, k6s and AthlonTbirds without issues. (using isa sound cards, of course)
Ransu
Cheetah

Post by Ransu »

I guess I'll ask my friend about what you guys said.....
RADRaze2KX
Rat

Post by RADRaze2KX »

<--- The "friend"

He has a budget of $600, that's usually important to know.
Slink wrote:The case only seems nice for the Antec PSU and the washable dust filters. Otherwise, I hate it.

this case will work wonders on the ambient noise where his computer is located. I've built 4 machines with this case and only 1 was loud, but what do you expect when it's in open air between a desk and a wall in a 10x10 room, and it's got an 8800GTX in it? but yes, the PSU is going to run wonders for the system, and it really help keep the cost down

Slink wrote:You're gonna be pretty happy with that graphics card. It is pretty much the best bang for the buck. check this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150229

yup, don't be fooled by the 8500's, it's just like the difference between the FX5600's and the FX5700's... 1 step up made a world of difference

Slink wrote:That processor is too slow. You should stick around 2.4 GHz. Consider going with AMD, as they have some very affordable dual core options. You would need an AMD-socketed mobo, of course. AMD supposedly handles multiple programs simultaneously, better than Intel does.

on the contrary, the Allendale's (even if this is entry-level desktop) have the capability to overclock world's better than an AMD processor... if Sir Doom is willing to wait 3 more weeks, He'd be able to bag himself a Conroe for a lot less, starting July 22nd (hopefully)... since Intel is bracing for Penryn, all allendale- and conroe-based C2D's and Quadcores will drop significantly (in cost per 1000)... the only difference between the Allendale e4300 and Conroe e6300 is FSB, where Allendale has 800 and Conroe has 1066... of course, this is the difference in Overclocking, as well... the allendale will have a higher statistical overclock compared to the conroe because it starts out at a lower FSB... lower FSB also equates to lower power consumption, which translates to lower heat, and lower energy bill...

Slink wrote:I don't like the lack of cooling on the mobo.

if it becomes an issue, which is highly unlikely until he starts to O/C, he can add a $10 HSF from frozencpu and be done with it.

Slink wrote:There is almost no point in getting a processor that slow that is dual core and thus uses DDR2. DDR2 is dual-channel (dual, dual-channel) ram for both cores. Anyway, I wouldn't want a Quad-core CPU if it were 700MHz.

DDR2 is a newer type of RAM which uses newer chips for increased speed at lower voltages... dual-channel does not come from ddrTWO, it comes from using 2 sticks of the same size and speed in a motherboard with a processor that supports it... tlo give you your AMD fix ;), AMD64 socket 754's use DDR... use 2 sticks, still DDR single-channel... take those same 2 (identical) sticks and put it on an AMD64 socket 939, and you'll be running dual-channel. here's some more info:
http://www.overclockercafe.com/Articles ... /index.htm

Slink wrote:Hard drive should be ok. Don't expect a marathon from it.

don't expect a marathon from any single rotation-based drive with less than 400GB's @ 7200RPM, 74GB's @ 10000 RPM/15000 RPM... marathon's are performed by SCSI drives and RAID arrays, and the new Solid-State Disks (SSD's)... you COULD get a 4GB compact flash card and an CF-to-IDE converter and use the CF card as your O/S drive, but that's not for beginners, so I don't recommend it.

Slink wrote:I think I own that DVD-RW drive. Seems good to me.

crap, it's sold out..

Slink wrote:Why the bloody hell are you getting WinXP Media Center? Just go Pro, if you don't want the extra stuff. Media Center is okay for a MEDIA PC that you would put in your living room.

because MCE is essentially PRO with the Media Center software package pre-installed... when you install MCE, it always says "Windows XP Professional" only difference is that during the GUI portion of setup, it will ask you for "Windows XP Professional Disk 2" and it copies over the rest of the stuff... And it's $30 LESS than pro (go figure)... as for games, I've never had a problem with it.. I run MCE on my gaming rig (because I also watch TV on it), and pro on my gaming server and laptop, and I never notice any difference between the two in terms of gaming compatibility or performance.

Slink wrote:As for the RAM you are looking at, you can get very comparable quality for better price in the A-Data or Wintec AMPx. You should definitely get a 2GB kit.

I've never liked A-Data or Wintec, but that's just me.. g.skill's been known as a great overclocking brand and costs about as much as Kingston ValueRAM, which is horrid at overclocking... then again, I guess the A-Data and Wintec stuff I see and test has been coming from Fry's Electronics, which could explain why mor than 70% of the stuff errors out in Memtest 86+ in the first 5 minutes of testing.

Slink wrote:Good luck.
-Slink
x2 bruh.. hit me up on xfire
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Bravo.

SSD's are already out? :shock: I thought about doing some compact flash... :) worth it for the longevity...

I see what you mean about dual, i was slightly misunderstanding it. Whatever the case, I DEFINITELY recommend a 2GB kit if you are running a dual core CPU.

That is good to know about the Intel CPU's. I have heard that about them. I am a fan of AMD myself, but Intel certainly has its upsides. I like cheap effective CPU's, but when cooling is a bitch, I now know that some extra cash is worth the cooler CPU.

My Wintec AMPX RAM went through memtest for over %1000 with 0% failed.

XP MEDIA IS CHEAPER?! Well, what can I say? I didn't do my homework. ;)

Here are my system specs:
Centurion 5 (window) case
Antec Truepower 2.0 480w ("blue led") power supply
Asus M2N-32 SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz AM2 processor
Wintec AMPx 2GB kit DDR2-800
Gigabyte Geforce 7600GT with Silentpipe2
Some liteon DVD-RW, some floppyDD, some standard Western Digital HDD

I'd like to replace my Gfx with a newer model and go SLI, but not soon.
What exactly is your xfire tag? You can PM me.

Thanks for the reply! :)

-Slink

P.S. Do you know anything about Air conditioning in my case? I found some stuff online, but the items do not seem to be available anywhere. I don't wanna liquid cool...