Dual-core: 32-bist OS vs. 64-bit OS

Anything not gaming related goes here. Not sure where something should be posted? Post it in here.

Moderator: General Discussion Moderators

Do you have a 64-bit, dual-core processor?

Yes I do.
31%
No I don't.
69%

Total votes: 13
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Dual-core: 32-bist OS vs. 64-bit OS

Post by Slink »

Hey guys. Do I get any benefit from using a dual-core processor (64-bit cpu) if I do not use a 64-bit operating system, such as Windows XP 64-bit edition?(or whatever the hell it is called)

Thanks!

-Slink
Last edited by Slink on Thu Mar 29, 2007 08:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leileilol

o^_^o

Post by leileilol »

the lack of NTVDM (translation: OMG NO VDMSOUND OR DOS GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH NOES!!!!!!!!!!!! NO WIN16 STUFF EITHER) and the ability to use 4GB of ram is a start
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Thank you, Cheapy. I am aware that the legacy (OLDSK00L ;)) DOS support has been eliminated and that the smaller-footprint 16-bit programs cannot currently run under WinXP64. Hm, I wonder: what would be some good examples of 16-bit programs that obviously wouldn't run, and thus p*** me off?

Keep it comin, guys. :)
Thanks!

-Slink
Caleb_2k
Acolyte

Post by Caleb_2k »

i would want a 64 bit cpu but that means i need to get a new mobo and possibly new ram and if it is REALLY bad then i need to get a new GFX card too and i dont got the money for that.....
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

I do have a 64-bit dual-core processor (AMD X2 4200+), and run a 64-bit OS (Gentoo Linux). You will get some visible benefit from some apps and processes, but it generally won't be an appreciable difference. You will still get increased performance in 32-bit apps and platforms on faster 64-bit CPUs, and many 32-bit OSs will run in multicore mode.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Thanks! That's interesting... I didn't know about multicore mode. Does that entail assigning different applications (programs) to different cores? Probably not, huh?
:)

-Slink
Kazashi
Shadow Warrior

Post by Kazashi »

That's part of it. In Win2k for example I was able to assign processor affinities i.e. tell which core I wanted a program to run on, through Task Manager. If a program is designed to use SMP then it can send its process threads to both cores simultaneously.
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Wow. "Symmetrical MultiProcessing." That rocks my socks off. So you can balance workloads while running multiple 32-bit apps? :)
Caleb_2k
Acolyte

Post by Caleb_2k »

my friend has an AMD dual core PC. when he installed windows 64 hist gfx drivers did not work so the processors became the cpu AND gpu...

we tested running the NFS Carbon demo on his PC, it behaved as it were on 13 caffiene pills and speed
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

I believe that is what you call "bad".
I wonder if he had a $#!tty mobo...
-Slink
Damien_Azreal
Satan's Spawn

Post by Damien_Azreal »

Dual core here... AMD 64 x2 4600+
I love it, but I still only run WinXP 32. The 64 bit version of XP is a piece IMO... it has some serious performance issues and can cause lots of problems with old 32 bit based games.
And don't even talk to me about 64 bit based version of Vista... or any version of Vista for that matter. It's a horrid OS (yes I've tried it) and you couldn't pay me to install it.
Necrosis
Bubble Wrap Man
*not Canadian*

Post by Necrosis »

I found out Aero Glass actually doesn't lag the f*** out of games, so now I don't even know why I should hate Vista anymore. Trying to run itself too much?
Slink

Not to be a dick, but...

Post by Slink »

Vista is and will remain crappy for a while. You will eventually see more good things emerge. At first, XP seemed to turn ppl off. :)

I just ordered the AMD 64 X2 4600+ (AM2) :) Yah.
EDIT: But stupid paypal messed up my order. :( Or newegg...

Anyway, I will be sticking with WindowsXP 32bit.

Thanks for all the help, folks.

-Slink